It’s an Experiment tradition to celebrate the release of a new cookbook with a launch lunch potluck: Everyone prepares a recipe from the book to share with the rest of the team. Vedge debuted back in September, and today we celebrated the release—and we went all out. Our menu consisted of a selection of delicious recipes from the book:
- Oyster Mushroom and Corn Chowder
- Lentil Mulligatawny with Cilantro-Onion Salad
- Peruvian Squash with Lima Bean Stew
- Shanghai Bok Choy and Okinawa Hot Pot with Spicy Miso Broth
- Cucumbers with Sambal and Peanuts
- Hearts of Palm Cakes on Curried Lentils
- Eggplant Braciole
- Sweet Potato Turnovers with Sweet Kraut
- Zucchini Bread (from the Zucchini Bread French Toast recipe in the book)
As you can see, quite a few of us were inspired by the chilly autumn weather, which accounts for the four soups on our menu. Our dishes spanned several cuisines and highlighted a diverse range of vegetables, testament to the variety of the recipes in Vedge. The Sweet Potato Turnovers, with hints of cinnamon and cloves, would be a great addition at any holiday table (and the Sweet Kraut is a brilliant deep purple). Our intern Dalma prepared them, and she even came up with a life hack: If you don’t have a rolling pin, a roll of aluminum foil will do nicely.
If you’ve been meaning to try something from the book, we can all vouch for these dishes (there were barely any leftovers). Authors Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby will be signing copies of Vedge at Fante’s Kitchen Wares Shop in Philadelphia on December 7.