Needless to say, everybody celebrates February 14th differently, whether it’s not at all or with a twelve-course meal and fireworks. If you still haven’t decided what your Valentine’s Day is going to look like, you have options. A Manhattan restaurant is offering a $30,000 dinner, and it sounds like they’ve truly thought of everything (a $5,000 shopping trip to Tiffany’s is included as well as a therapist and matchmaker.) Alternatively, McDonald’s is also taking reservations. And here’s a quick list of businesses that are giving away freebies tomorrow (a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, anyone?).
If you’re like us, though, you prefer to keep it simple and whip up something special at home. If you head over to Workman’s blog, they’ve featured the Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes, which, as a Blue Plate Special, is only $2.99 this month.
If that’s not your bag, why not try Marzipan and Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate, courtesy of Never Too Late to Go Vegan, for a sweet and easy treat. Enjoy!
Marzipan and Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate
serves 8 to 10
- 12 large strawberries, plus more for serving plain, or undipped
- One 7-ounce tube marzipan (available in the baking section of most supermarkets)
- One 8- or 9-ounce bag vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (to prevent the chocolate from hardening too quickly), optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash and thoroughly dry the strawberries. Slice the marzipan into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine the chips and oil (if using) in a glass bowl or measuring cup and melt in a microwave oven: Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and if needed, heat for another 30 seconds. Continue stirring until all the chips are melted. (This may require one more 15-second heating in the microwave.) Alternatively, you can melt them in a double boiler on the stove, stirring over medium heat until completely melted.
- Using a fork, dip each strawberry into the chocolate, then place each strawberry on the lined baking sheet. Again using a fork, dip each marzipan circle into the chocolate, and then place each circle on the lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the filled baking sheet for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve.