We welcome submissions from authors and agents. Note that we publish both narrative and practically oriented nonfiction, we do not publish fiction, and we require queries and submissions via hard copy or email.
Our ideal proposal, whether sent as a hard copy or via email, includes the following components:
- A title and a subtitle.
- A one-paragraph overview that briefly explains the premise of your book, why you wrote it, who you see the audience being (with any relevant demographic data you might have about the potential size of the audience).
- A brief author biography (one page or less) that focuses on why you are uniquely qualified to write your book and includes information about how you are connected to your likely readers, or plan to connect—whether in person or online (please include URLs). Please also feel free to include a resume, and if you’ve written previous books, include all basic bibliographic information on them, sales figures, names of publishers of foreign editions, and any other information you think will be helpful.
- An annotated table of contents that outlines the book, with chapter and section titles and even subsections, if you’ve formulated them, as well as brief descriptions of the material each chapter and/or section will cover. It should be no more than ten pages total.
- A thorough assessment of what you believe to be the most closely competing books—and including very brief comments about how your proposed book differs from already available books.
- A sample chapter that is representative of the writing style and content of the larger work.
This proposal should be no more than 30 pages, set in 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman type, preferably as a Microsoft Word document. We will review all proposals that meet the above criteria as quickly as possible and will promptly request more information if we’re intrigued.
Please send only copies of your work—no original manuscripts or artwork. We will not be held liable for any materials lost or destroyed in the mail. If you would like your proposal returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in the correct size. Submissions not containing a SASE will not be returned.
Proposals sent via email should be sent to [email protected]; hard-copy materials should be sent to:
220 East 23rd Street, Suite 301
New York, NY 10010
And thank you very much in advance for giving us the opportunity to consider your project.